Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The War of 1812: What was it about?

This weekend marks the 3rd year that I will be reenacting at the Mississinewa 1812 reenactment just north of Marion, Indiana. We have so much fun, and I can't wait to report (with photo's) all the going's on at this years event. So far we have packed all of our gear in the the wonderful blanket chest Chris made and I stained and polyurethaned and made 3 pumpkin pies from scratch including the crust (as if there was any other way!). I still have to clean up from all of the pie making, but other then going to class tomorrow we are ready.

 Chris is part of the 2nd US light Artillery, he and the other men handle a 3 pounder cannon, while the other ladies and I are considered camp followers. Now I know what you thinking CAMP FOLLOWERS! Wasn't that you know...prostitutes? hahahahaha. No unlike today's conception of the term, at the time of the war the camp followers were the wives of the men in the troop. They stayed at camp and cleaned, cooked, took care of the sick and injured, and did what ever other duties needed to be done, while the men were out fighting. If there husband was killed they have a very limited time (like 2 weeks, maybe less) to find a new husband in the group, if they did not they were literally left on the side of the trail.

What was the war about?

  1. Well at the time Britain and France was at war (imagine that) and Britain had restricted the trade between the USA and France. 
  2. Because of the wars Britain needed members for there Royal Navy, instead of recruiting members the navy was taking over US Merchant ships taking the sailors captive and forcing them into employment with the Royal Navy.
  3. And because of the British support of the Native Americans against the expansion of the US.
As always you can find out more about it at history.com or if you have to (ugh) wikipedia.com.

I watched this video sometime ago, but waited to share it just for this weekend. Hope it puts a smile on the face of those history buffs out there.






While I don't know yet if any of my family was in the war of 1812 I do know I had family in the US Revolution so it is possible, I will just have to keep digging and find out. I am currently trying to figure out the DAR application, so if anyone out there can help that would be amazing.


Much love,







We all grow up with the weight of history on us. Our ancestors dwell in the attics of our brains as they do in the spiraling chains of knowledge hidden in every cell of our bodies. ~Shirley Abbott

0 comments:

Post a Comment